Home Heating Carbon Reduction Obligation

Helping households in need

Your Energy Sussex is committed to helping low income and vulnerable households to get the advice and support they need to stay warm and healthy and reduce their energy bills.

The following questions may help you and your family to meet your energy costs and stay well and warm in your home.

  • Do I qualify for the Winter Fuel Payment? - £200-£300 is available for householders of pensionable age and up to £300 if someone is over 80. Call the Winter Fuel Payment helpline - 08459 15 15 15.
  • Am I eligible for a Warm Home Discount? - Low income households with vulnerable residents should speak to their energy supplier to see whether they qualify for this £140 discount on their electricity bill.
  • Have I received my electricity bill rebate? - Everyone should receive this £12 electricity bill rebate which is applied automatically for people who pay their bills through direct debit. If you have a pre-payment meter, you may need to speak to your energy supplier to get the rebate.
  • Do I qualify for Cold Weather Payments? - This additional payment, £25 for each seven day period of very cold weather between 1st November and 31st March, is for people on certain benefits. Payments are made automatically to eligible people - www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment.
  • Am I on the best energy tariff? - It is important that you are on the most economical tariff for you. The Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline provides free and confidential advice. Call 08454 04 05 06 or visit www.adviceguide.org.uk. The Ofgem website www.goenergyshopping.co.uk also has good advice on energy switching.
  • Is my boiler broken or failing to heat my home? - Money to install an energy-efficient replacement boiler may be available for households on certain benefits through the Government's Energy Companies Obligation (ECO) scheme. Contact your energy supplier in the first instance or call the Energy Saving Trust on 0300 123 1234. If you live in West Sussex, your Wellbeing Hub  may also be able to help with a temporary heater (subject to eligibility). Contact your local Wellbeing Hub directly.  
  • Can I be put on the Priority Services Register? - This is available to anyone of pensionable age, living with a disability or chronic illness, or with a visual or hearing impairment. It can provide access to free services such as gas safety checks. Contact your energy supplier.
  • Do I need help managing my bills? - Your local Wellbeing Hub can tell you where you can get confidential and impartial financial advice and the Home Heat Helpline on 0800 33 66 99 can also provide free advice on grants, tariffs, benefits and winter payment schemes. They also have a website - www.homeheathelpline.org.uk


Help and advice is also available from:

  • Your local district or borough council in West or East Sussex - for details of additional support for residents living in their area.
  • Energy Saving Advice Service - for independent advice on saving energy in your home, call this service provided by the Energy Saving Trust on 0300 123 1234.
  • Keep warm, keep well - this Government booklet provides comprehensive advice on staying warm and well in cold weather.
  • Citizens Advice Bureau - get free, impartial and confidential advice on a range of issues in West and East Sussex and Brighton & Hove.